Olomouc Asian Studies
Olomouc Asian Studies (OLAS) is a publication series of the Department of Asian Studies at Palacký University Olomouc published by Palacký University Press that was formally established in 2022. The series specializes in topics in humanities and social sciences that concern Asian cultures and societies. All publications in the series are published as Open Access and Print on Demand. The main target audience for the series includes researchers and students of various Asian cultures and societies, as well as the interested public.
The Editorial Board consists of at least seven members: the Head of the Department of Asian Studies at Palacký University Olomouc, two employees of the Department – one of them acting as the Chair of the Editorial Board and the other as the Deputy Chair – appointed by the Head of the Department, and at least four other experts chosen by the Chair of the Editorial Board for any given year.
- Chair of the Editorial Board: Mgr. Halina Zawiszová, Ph.D.
- Deputy Chair: Martin Lavička, M.A., Ph.D.
Individual research monographs, as well as monographs by multiple authors, are the preferred format, but other texts, such as critical editions or edited collections of thematically related studies, including conference proceedings, are also within the scope of the series.
All publications in the series are published as Open Access and Print on Demand.
Publications published in the series so far include:
- Halina Zawiszová, Martin Lavička, eds. 2023. Voiced and Voiceless in Asia. Olomouc Asian Studies. Vol. 1. Olomouc: Palacký University Olomouc.
- Filip Kraus, Kateřina Šamajová, Renata Westlake, Blanka Ferklová, eds. 2024 [forthcoming]. Continuity and Change in Asia. Olomouc Asian Studies. Vol. 2. Olomouc: Palacký University Olomouc.
- Martin Lavička, Giorgio Strafella, Halina Zawiszová, eds. 2024 [forthcoming]. Embodied Entanglements: Gender, Identity, and the Corporeal in Asia. Olomouc Asian Studies. Vol. 3. Olomouc: Palacký University Olomouc.
- In preparation. Interpretation and Misinterpretation in Studies of Asia [provisional title]. Olomouc Asian Studies. Vol. 4. Olomouc: Palacký University Olomouc.
Authors wishing to have their manuscripts published in the OLAS series are required to first submit the Proposal Submission Form electronically (available for download here).
The Editorial Board will evaluate the proposal and notify the authors of its decision within three months (unless specified otherwise).
Invited manuscripts are submitted to double blind peer review by at least two experts (at least one of the reviewers is external to Palacký University Olomouc). In case of invited manuscripts of edited volumes (including conference proceedings), the editors are responsible for securing at least two positive double blind peer reviews for each text included in the volume.
In January 2024, a Call for Chapters to be included in an edited volume that is to be published as Volume 4 in OLAS will be issued. The volume will be published as an Open Access (with each chapter getting its own DOI) and Print on Demand publication. There are no publication fees.
In order to collect chapters for the volume, we will first invite extended abstracts in English. The call will be available here.